Around April 15, 1942, Conover Baptist Church was organized
by Mr. Joe Snipe who used the Old Yount Mill village to start a Sunday School. Rev J.E. Crump was asked to come and hold a revival. After a number of people were saved and keen interest was manifested, plans were implemented to organize a church. Due to large attendance, land was purchased on the Old Airport Road and was officially named Conover Baptist Church. Although the church was built at the beginning of WWII, it grew under the leadership of Rev J.E. Crump. In mid-1944, Rev Crump resigned to go into full-time evangelism. Rev Paul Benfield was asked to fill the pulpit until a pastor could be secured. Under his leadership, the church continued to grow and many improvements were made. In early 1950, Rev Benfield resigned to enter college, Rev J.D. Lynn filled the pulpit and at that time the name was changed to First Baptist Church. In late 1958, Rev Lynn resigned and Rev Wilburn J. Edmondson was asked to fill in. When Rev Edmondson submitted his resignation, the church would not accept it and he accepted the call to remain as pastor on April 19, 1959. After 15 years at the old location, there was a need for more space. Property was purchased on Emmanuel Church Road and the name of the church was changed to Emmanuel Baptist Church. In 1996, Pastor Lonnie Ray was called to Emmanuel Baptist Church. Around 2000, the Sunday School wing was built. In 2005, Pastor Brian Correll became the current pastor and under his leadership the church continues to grow and prosper. …all to the glory of God!